Places des Vosges
Places des Vosges, built by Henri IV and completed in 1612, it is known as the most beautiful square in Europe. It is noted for its picturesque streets, boutiques, galleries, and beautifully restored 16th &18th century "hotels particuliers". Madam de Seveigne was born at #1 bis, #21 is where Richelieu lived and #6 was Victor Hugo's residence, now a museum to him.
Rue des Rosiers
This has been the center of the Jewish community since the middle ages and there are many Jewish bakeries, cafes and restaurants.
Village St Paul
This is an antique enclave with 80 antique dealers. It is open from Thursday to Monday from 10:00 to 7:00.
Situated on the Right Bank of the River Seine, it is bordered to the west by the 1st arrondissement; to the north by the 3rd, to the east by the 11th and 12th, and to the south by the Seine and the 5th.
The 4th arrondissement contains the Renaissance-era Paris City Hall. It also contains the Renaissance square of Place des Vosges, the overtly modern Pompidou Centre and the southern lively part of the medieval district of Le Marais, which today is known for being the gay district of Paris (while the northern more quiet part of Le Marais is contained inside the 3rd arrondissement). The eastern parts of the Ile de la Cite (including Notre-Dame de Paris) as well as the Ile Saint-Louis are also included within the 4th arrondissement.
Ile de la Cite has been inhabited since the 1st century BC, when it was occupied by the Parisii tribe of the Gauls. The Right Bank was first settled in the early Middle Ages. Since the end of the 19th century, le Marais has been populated by a significant Jewish population, the Rue des Rosiers being at the heart of its community, with a handful of kosher restaurants. Since the 1990s, gay culture has made an impact on the arrondissement, opening a number of bars and cafes in the area by the town hall.
Notre Dame de Paris ('Our Lady of Paris' in French) is a Gothic cathedral on the eastern half of the Ile de la Cite in Paris, France, with its main entrance to the west. It is the cathedral of Paris and the seat of the Archbishop of Paris. Notre Dame de Paris is widely considered one of the finest examples of French Gothic architecture. It was restored and saved from destruction by Viollet-le-Duc, one of France's most famous architects. The name Notre Dame means "Our Lady" in French. Notre Dame de Paris was one of the first Gothic cathedrals, and its construction spanned the Gothic period. Its sculptures and stained glass show the heavy influence of naturalism, unlike that of earlier Romanesque architecture.
The Place de Greve in front of Hotel de Ville was, before 1802, the name of the square which is now City Hall Square. However, the principal reason why the place de Greve is remembered is that it was the site of most executions in Paris. The gallows and the pillory stood there.
This church is one of oldest of Paris. Its existence is mentioned starting from 4th century. The St-Gervais-et-St-Protais Church of Paris was home to one of the most famous French musical families for more than two centuries: the Couperin family.
On the side of the church still remains the house of the famous harpsichordists, organists and composers as well as a plaque commemorating their address. The organ of Louis and Francois Couperin exists still today inside the Church. Built by the most famous organ builders of the time, including Clicquot, it is a fine example of the French Baroque.
George Pompidou Center
The George Pompidou Center (Beaubourg,) is home to one of the most important modern art museums in the world displaying modern and contemporary painting, sculpture, graphic art, photographs, rare books, films, new media, architecture and design. It is also the site of Paris' largest public research library.
Located in the complex, but in another building, is one of the worlds most advanced computer music laboratories. The high-tech design of the building incorporates an escalator in a Plexiglas tube which gives one of the city's best panoramic views. There is a restaurant on the top floor with the same spectacular views. The Place Georges-Pompidou, in front of the museum, often has impromptu street entertainment. Close by is the 'quirky', fun Stravinsky Fountain where one can sit and have a picnic or choose from several inexpensive restaurants overlooking the Fountain.
Begun in 1550, was home to the famous letter writer, Marquise de Sevigne (1626-1696) and now houses the Museum of Paris History. The beautiful Art Nouveau boutique Fouquet, designed by Mucha in 190l, has been recreated here. Another interesting room setting is Proust's cork-lined room in which he wrote 'A Remembrance of Things Past
Ile St Louis and Notre Dame
The islands in the Seine are shared by the lst and 4th arrondissements Ile St-Louis Ile St-Louis with its aristocratic town houses, courtyards, and antique shops is home to dozens of 17th century mansions and 6,000 lucky 'louisiens', its permanent residents. Voltaire found it "the second best" address in all the world, citing the straits of the Bosphorus separating Europe from Asia as number one. Berthillon the famous and popular ice-cream store is located at 31 Rue St-Louis-en-l'Ile.
Notre-Dame de Paris
The Cathedral of Notre Dame de Paris dates back to 1163 but was not completed until 1345. It is one of the masterpieces of Gothic art in Western Europe. Its facade, the soaring Gothic ribbed vaulting, its huge light-filled interior and awe-inspiring stained glass windows are magnificent artistic achievements. The square in front of the Cathedral is called the Place du Parvis. In the center is a plaque from which all road distances in France are measured. Of course, this is the setting for Victor Hugo's 'The Hunchback of Notre Dame'.
La Sainte Chapelle
See the exquisite stained glass windows of this small 12th century church built by Louis IX to house what he believed to be a part of the Cross and for which he paid more than the church itself. Try to visit on a sunny day when it looks like a 'jewel box'.
Hotel de Sully
Built 1625, is now the site of the Ancient Monuments and Buildings Commission which distributes free maps and brochures on monuments and museums.
Hotel de Lamoignon, built 1584, now contains the Historical Library of Paris. Its reading room with painted ceiling is one of the finest in Paris.
Hotel de Sens
Originally inhabited by the archbishop of Sens, this mansion was built between 1475 and 1507, and is one of only three medieval private residences remaining in Paris. It is now the home of the Bibliotheque Fornay - devoted to decorative and fine arts, as well as industrial techniques.
Hotel Henault de Cantobre
Now holds the European House of Photography, which organizes various photographic exhibitions.
Hotel de Ville (Town Hall)
The first city council dates back to 1246. The current Hotelde Ville is built over a former one, which was burned down by the 1871 Commune. The Place de Greve (or Strand) in front of the Hotel de Ville received its name from the beach which served as a river port for unloading wheat and wood. It became the center where Parisians often gathered, particularly for public executions. Thus the name "greve" which has come to mean "strike", a word which you will quite often come across in French life. The Hotel de Ville is open to visitors. At the 29 rue de Rivoli entrance is the 'Salon d'accueil' a welcome and information center with many free brochures and free tickets to concert sand happenings in Paris. It also has changing exhibitions here. The Place de Greve is now often the scene for exhibitions, concerts and special shows.
Discover the Marais on a private walking tour with one of our professional photographers and see one of the most colorful sections of Paris. You'll walk through the centuries and have the time of your life.
The lower Marais is the heart of Medieval Paris and Center of the Gay Community.
Rue Vieille-du-Temple and rue St. Croix de la Bretonnerie
With its many cafes, restaurants, clubs, fashion boutiques and “maisons et objects” stores, it is the center of Paris’s vibrant gay community. Shops are open on Sunday when most other parts of Paris are closed. On rue St. Croix de la Bretonnerie is the gay bookstore ‘Les Mots a la Bouche, and a nice salon for tea is ‘Mariage Freres’, 30-32 rue du Bourg-Tibourg, which sells 450 varieties of tea.
A noticeable landmark is the Gothic Hotel Herouet and its turret built in 1528 at the corner of rue des Frances-Bourgeois and rue Vieille-du-Temple
On the tour you will make 5 to 6 stops and at each interesting stop you will learn several photographic points that will ranges from finding the best light indoors and outdoors, portraits, architectural details and general tricks of the trade used by professional photographers.
We meet at the steps of the controversial Opera Bastille, built as a “modern and popular” place to share classical music with the masses and which was inaugurated on July 13, 1989, on the 200th anniversary of the storming of the Bastille.
A reading of its amazing "stone comic strip" sculptures, and exploration of very curious and still unsolved mysteries - some concerning Masonic secrets - surrounding the Grand Old Lady of Paris, begun in 1163
Place des Vosges - Village St Paul - Marais - Butte aux cailles - Gobelins - Arenes de Lutece - Cour Saint Emilion - Bastille
What better way to see Paris than by taking a leisurely cruise on the Seine passing through the heart of Old Paris. Twenty centuries of history passing before your eyes.
Once a royal Renaissance palace, the Louvre Museum houses some of the world's most famous works of art, highlights of which are the Mona Lisa, the Venus de Milo, the Winged Victory. Closed on Tuesdays.